In small businesses, where time optimization is especially crucial, it’s important that your business processes are optimized and documented. While there are many ways to optimize your business processes, following are five ways you can start saving time and money through business process optimization right now. These tactics can make your business more efficient, effective, productive and profitable.
- Create Checklists for Everything - Having checklists for all your repetitive and core business processes will ensure consistency and avoid wasted time. Start creating checklists for everything today, and make sure to train employees to use the checklists.
- Use Automation Technology When Possible - Automate any repetitive and ongoing tasks that can easily be done with software applications or other digital tools. Not all processes should be automated. The key is to automate your processes in a way that makes things easier, so that people aren’t constantly fixing the mistakes that occur due to flaws in the system. Things like fulfilling orders, sending reminders and scheduling appointments are easy to do automatically so you don’t have to dedicate human resources to these tasks.
- Record Your Processes for Others to See - The key to effective processes is ensuring that everyone is on the same page. All employees, including new employees should be able to view your processes Start recording your processes today, if possible.
- Delegate Tasks Wisely - Having a clear organizational structure and recorded job descriptions for each function will go a long way toward more efficient day-to-day operations. When roles are clearly defined, it makes delegation easier and more effective. If you don’t have an organizational chart with clear cut job responsibilities, start documenting that now and share with your staff when you are done.
- Contact a Consultant - It may be in your business’ best interests to make some major changes to your processes, which will most likely take much longer than a day to plan and enact. The best way to start this daunting task is to schedule an appointment with a business consultant who specializes in efficiency and productivity through systematization.
Let me know how these simple strategies work for you.